Homemade "Tofurky" loaf
This recipe is cruelty-free and extra delish!
2 1-lb. blocks firm tofu
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 ½ Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1 ½ Tbsp. dry sherry
3 Tbsp. water
¼ tsp. pepper
• Freeze the tofu for at least one day, then thaw it and squeeze out the excess water. This process changes the consistency of the tofu, making it “meatier” and more porous.
• Place the two blocks of tofu next to each other in a greased loaf pan, making sure that they are as
close together as possible.
• Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, sherry, water, and pepper to create a marinade.
• Pour ⅔ of the marinade over the tofu, cover the dish, and place it in the refrigerator overnight. Cover the remaining marinade and refrigerate it.
• Remove the tofu from the refrigerator and pour the remaining marinade over the top.
Bake at 350°F for 90 minutes, basting every half hour and flipping after 45 minutes. (Use caution when flipping the tofu so that it does not break apart.)
• Cool the tofu to room temperature or place in the freezer until cool, at which point it will have a firm,
• Use it in sandwiches, serve as a main dish with gravy, or come up with your own serving ideas.
Makes 6-8 servings
Recipe courtesy of: